|Richard Bennett||Rector Emeritus|
|Laura McNeil||Parish Administrator||LMcNeil@stmatthewsbloomington.org|
|Terra Swisher||Director of Religious Educationfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Vacant||Director of Liturgical Music|
|Tyson Mohr||Rector’s Warden|
|Chuck Palm||Parish Warden|
|Lorinda DeMeritt||Mission (Outreach)|
|Chante Forde||Stewardship (Time & Talent)|
|Cliff Grill||Stewardship (Building & Grounds)|
|Annie Ingersoll||Formation (Spiritual Growth)|
|Robin Levine||Formation (Communication)|
|Mark Smith||Stewardship (Time & Talent)|
|Linda Thomas||Mission (Outreach)|
|Cindy Strickley||Clerk of the Vestry|
St. Matthew’s Church began with 5 communicants on July 31st, 1853 with a deacon, the Reverend John W. Bowman, as the minister in charge. For 12 years the congregation met in various rented quarters before purchasing a church building previously used by another denomination. A rectory was bought in 1865 and an organ the following year.
In 1868 the Rev. T. N. Morrison inspired the people of St. Matthew’s to make plans for a new church building. A lot was purchased in 1874 in downtown Bloomington. The money for the first 100 bricks was donated by seven-year-old Charley Lufkin in response to Rev. Morrison’s sermon urging all members of the congregation to be actively involved in funding the new building.
In the 1940’s it became difficult to maintain the existing church building and the vestry voted to purchase the property on which the current church building stands. The new church was dedicated on October 16, 1955. The vestry bought property in Normal to establish a mission known as Canterbury House for students and faculty at Illinois State University. The mission activities have continued at the Ecumenical Religious Center.
Under Father Thomas Lyons, rector from 1968 until 1974, St. Matthew’s acquired one of the finest church organs in central Illinois, built by the Rev. James McEvers. In the late 1970’s, while Father Richard Bennett was rector, members of St. Matthew’s along with representatives of the Department of Mission Strategy of the Diocese of Springfield decided to establish a mission in Normal to support the church’s ministry to the universities. About 60 members of St. Matthew’s volunteered to become the congregation of the new Christ the King Church, which still exists in Normal. Father Howard Bowlin, retired in 2007 after serving for 10 years.
Our current rector is Father David Halt who has been with us since 2010.